Which Was First? Miami County’s Towns & Villages 
Every town, village and unincorporated area in Miami County was founded during the 19th century, with 1807 being a very key year. The following list shows the order in which each town in Miami County was platted, or about when it assumed its name. The list was compiled from the scrapbook of Miami County historian Leonard Hill, entitled “Local and Regional History,” printed in 1970.

Staunton – 1806
West Milton – 1807 (May 6)
Piqua – 1807 (June 29)
Troy – 1807 (Dec. 16)
West Charleston – 1807
Covington – 1816
Frederick – 1828
Fletcher – 1830  
Lena – 1830
Casstown – 1833
Hyattsville – 1833  
Brandt – 1839
Tipp City – 1840
Laura – 1840
Rossville – 1840
Pleasant Hill – 1843
Potsdam – 1845
Bradford – 1868
Ludlow Falls – 1882  
Kessler – 1890

This marker in Staunton (east of Troy) is engraved:  “On this spot stood the fort built, 1798." Eight years later, Staunton would become the first village in Miami County. Learn more HERE.

December banner ad 2019.png